DIETARY AIDE CERTIFICATE
This program is currently not offered.
This program provides students with the skills and knowledge needed to work as food handlers in institutional settings. Students will learn to assemble and serve food and beverages while meeting food safety handling regulations. Students will earn industry-recognized certification for FoodSafe Level 1 and Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS), which will increase their employability. The program includes 4 weeks of classroom modules and a 2 week practicum.
Topics covered include:
- Food assembly & service
- Food safety
- Worksafe practice
- Equipment usage
- Nutrition and specialized diets
- Institutional sanitization/infection control
- Communication, team skills and personal development
- Professionalism and work ethic
- Resume writing and interview skills
To register, students must meet all the following requirements:
- English 10 or equivalent
- Must be in general good health with the ability to bend, stretch, and lift up to 20 pounds
- Practicum placements require the completion of a criminal record check (cost is approximately $28); the instructor will provide the application form on the first day of class
To graduate, students must meet all the following requirements:
- Minimum of 70% in each segment of the program
- Completion of all assignments, presentations and tests
- Successful completion of the practicum
- Demonstration of professional standards of behaviour
Students who successfully complete the program will be able to seek job opportunities in institutional and commercial settings such as hospitals, long term care facilities, assisted living communities, schools, hotels and restaurants.