EARLY CHILDHOOD EDUCATION – BASIC CERTIFICATE
This basic Early Childhood Education (ECE) program is designed for those planning to care for and educate young children 3-5 years of age in preschool, group child care centres, “early learning” programs and “family places”.
The ECE – Basic Certificate program offered by Burnaby CCE is approved by the Early Childhood Registry of the BC Ministry for Children & Families.
The course content and competencies are similar to those of other approved colleges. Our pedagogical vision includes the current practices of responsive curriculum, inquiry based learning and the curriculum from the BC Early Learning framework.
The ECE – Basic Certificate program is offered part time and full time.
- The part time program has classes scheduled for evenings and Saturdays. Students can start the program in January or September, and can choose a completion schedule of 2 years or 3 years.
- The full time program is scheduled to run September 9, 2019 to July 31, 2019, Monday through Friday, 9:00 am – 3:30 pm.
Successful completion of 14 courses (including 3 practicums, total 9 weeks) is required for licensing by the Early Childhood Educator (ECE) Registry.
Registration in ECE courses is only open for students who have completed the application requirements and have been accepted into the program.
To apply, submit the following:
How to submit the application package:
- Please submit a complete application package; we cannot accept incomplete packages that are missing required documents
- Online submission: (1) Email the package to firstname.lastname@example.org and (2) pay the ECE Basic Application Fee using the green button at the top of this page and use course code 3000
- In person submission: Bring the package and ECE Basic Application Fee to Burnaby Continuing Education, 5325 Kincaid St, Burnaby BC V5G 1W2
- Once this application is submitted, you will be contacted for a interview and English test if required
To graduate, students must meet all the following requirements:
- Completion of all assignments, presentations and tests
- Successful completion of practicums
- A minimum of 65% in each course
- Demonstration of professional standards of behaviour
Graduates of our program work in preschools, group child care centres, early learning programs and family place playrooms.
Approximately 90% of our students find employment within 6 months of graduating from our program.
Just wanted to also thank you and all the teachers we had during our course. After a couple years in the field, you become very thankful for the experiences in school and the value of Reggio that I have come to love. I’m thankful for the education I received and the perspective I have now as an ECE.Brooke McBoyle (November 2016)
I began my journey with Burnaby Continuing Education in 2004. In 2007, I opened Childgarden Preschool. The Early Childhood Education was an incredibly inspiring program, far exceeding my expectations. The instructors are passionate, inspiring, very knowledgeable and deeply caring about each student’s success. The courses are detailed and in depth; giving you a thorough foundation of knowledge that will spark your future in ECE. I believe the instructors and programing shaped my future as a 2012 recipient of The Prime Minister’s Award of Excellence in Early Childhood Education; a result of preschool parent nominations. I now have a passion for the Reggio Emilia approach flamed by the experience and enthusiasm of the instructors. I am forever grateful to them for sharing their insight, vision and wisdom.Sue Woodward (Owner of Childgarden Preschool, Coquitlam, BC)