New Job. New friends. New language. New knowledge. New opportunities.
- Early Childhood Education
- TESOL Certificate (ESL Teacher Training)
This program is designed for those planning to care for and educate young children 3-5 years of age in preschool, group child care centres, 'early learning' programs and 'family places'.
This is a part-time, evening program with a choice of a completion plan of 2 and a half, or 3 years.
- Our ECE program is approved by the Early Childhood Registry of the Ministry for Children & Families. Course content and competencies are similar to those of other approved colleges.
- We offer a current program based on responsive curriculum, where learning is explored in depth based on a negotiation between the child's interests and the teacher's invitations to learn. We include the B.C. Early Learning Framework in our pedagogical practices.
- Besides Early Childhood Education training, our instructors have a university degree or higher.
The successful completion of 14 courses (including 3 practicums, total 9 weeks) is required for licensing by the Early Childhood Educator (ECE) Registry.
Registration Dates & Times
Students have an option of starting in January, May or September. Once a student is accepted into the program they can register for individual courses. Online registration for the Fall term opens August 01. Registration for the Winter/Spring term opens December 01. Alternatively students can phone 604-296.6901 to register.
- completed application form
- records of previous education
- 3 reference letters
- secondary school graduation or equivalent, or acceptance under mature students regulations
- proof of completing English12 or equivalent. (testing available if required)
- successful interview
- some experience with young children
- certificate of good health
- clear criminal record check
- registration fee of $50
Application form: ECE Application Basic.pdf
Course Fee: Tuition for the entire ECE Basic program is approximately $4,200. Students pay for each course separately (approx $290/course).
Free Information Sessions:
June 18 at 6:30 pm
Location: Moscrop School (4433 Moscrop Street @ Willingdon).
English testing available after the information session.
Class Location : Byrne Creek School, 7777 18th St. Burnaby (corner of 10th Ave & 20th St)
Those who have completed the Basic ECE program may enroll in a Post Basic
1. Infant & Toddler
2. Special Needs
If you have questions please email email@example.com
- Copy of ECE licence
- a one page letter stating your values as an Early Childhood educator.
- a copy of your ECE transcript and license to practice.
Application form: ECE Application post basic.pdf
$2300 for one Post Basic specialty program.
$1000 for a Second Specialty program.
Free Information Sessions (ECE Post Basic):
June 18 at 7:30 p.m
Location: Moscrop School
Who should take this course?
Designed for individuals who are either currently teaching ESL or for those who wish to enter the English language teaching field, this program will give students the necessary skills in classroom management, lesson planning and a variety of teaching methodologies.
This TESL Canada certified program is taught by an experienced and credentialed team of teachers. Students are prepared to teach Reading, Writing, Speaking, Listening, Grammar, and Presentation skills. Students will participate in seminars discussing topics such as classroom management, matching learning outcomes to activities, conducting assessments, and developing a teaching style of their own. Students will leave the program having developed lesson plans and activities organized into a portfolio.
Course Modules include:
- TESOL 500: Reading Skills & Teaching Methodologies
- TESOL 501: Writing Skills & Teaching Methodologies
- TESOL 502: Pronunciation, Speaking and Listening Skills & Teaching Methodologies
- TESOL 503: Grammar and Vocabulary Skills & Teaching Methodologies
How long is the program?
Students will complete 100 hours of classroom instruction and 20 hours of practicum. This program can be taken part time during the evening (Mon, Wed, Thurs evening)
When can I start?
late September or late January. The next program runs January 21 to April 18, 2013 (not including the practicum)
Attend a FREE information session
The next information session will take place in early September. The date will be posted soon.
Location: Burnaby Central School, 6011 Deer Lake Parkway, Burnaby