New Job. New friends. New language. New knowledge. New opportunities.
Frequently Asked Questions
- registration for general interest or Certificate & Diploma programs begin August 01 for the Fall term and December 01 for the winter term.
- registration for High School Completion and Foundations programs begin January 3 for the Winter term
PCTIA is established under the Private Career Training Institutions Act, with its corresponding Regulations and Bylaws. PCITA is governed by a Board of Directors and is guided by the public sector guidelines for corporate governance.
It is not necessary for Burnaby CCE to join PCITA. Burnaby Community & Continuing Education is an arm of the Burnaby School District and as so, is governed by a Board of Education. The Board of Education’s function is to establish procedures and guidelines for the operation of Burnaby CCE. The Board of Education, in consultation with senior staff, determine policies and regulations which govern the direct operations of the school district's human and physical resources. These policies are designed to ensure a high level of conduct and quality educational services which establishes Burnaby School District as a good choice for life long learning.
Burnaby CCE offers college level diplomas and certificates. Our programs are well recognized by official organizations. They are equivalent in content to what is offered at colleges. Each program is unique and some examples are provided below.
- Vancouver Coastal Health/Fraser Health - We have affiliation agreements with Fraser Health and Vancouver Coastal Health for the Medical Office Assistant program and the Health Care Assistant program.
- Province of BC - We have a license agreement with the province of BC for the Health Care Assistant program Curriculum guide.
- Early Childhood Registry of the Ministry for Children & Families – Our ECE program is approved by this organization.
- TESL Canada – Our TESOL (ESL Teacher Training) program is recognized by TESL Canada.
- American Hotel and Lodging Association – Our ‘Hotel Front Office Operations’ program and ‘Convention Management’ program is accredited with this organization.
- GAIA College SOUL – many of our Horticulture programs are co-sponsored with Gaia College and endorsed by the Society for Organic Urban Land Care.
- For a new program, Landscape Horticulturalist Apprenticeship, we have been given provisional Designation by the Industry Training Authority to provide Common Core Level 1 and 2.
Burnaby CCE also offers a variety of programs where a governing body or accreditation does not exist. For these programs we carefully select instructors who have the credentials to instil high standards in our programs.
The difference between diplomas and certificates can become murky at some institutions. In general Certification programs are typically specialized in one specific skill or area. In some cases a diploma is not required and a certificate gives sufficient training in a particular skill. Diploma programs tend to be longer and more in-depth. In comparison to certificate programs they are broader and often give the student a good overview of the field, without earning an actual degree.
Each area of study is unique. Some professional associations may have developed their own specific guidelines and criteria as to what accounts for a certificate and what accounts for a diploma.
a) Our students are not eligible for Canada and BC subsidized student loans. However, many students are eligible for unsubsidized loans. For specific information contact your local financial institution. Burnaby CCE has been partnering with Vancity (Hastings branch) to streamline the process of applying for a student loan. Please call Vancity at 604-877-7063 to make an appointment.
b) An option to pay your course fee in instalments will be considered on individual basis.