Burnaby Community & Continuing Education

New Job. New friends. New language. New knowledge. New opportunities.

BCCE Navigation

Be sure to attend our FREE Info Sessions!

Frequently Asked Questions

When can I register?
  • registration for general interest or Certificate & Diploma programs begin August 01 for the Fall term and December 01 for the winter term.
  • registration for High School Completion and Foundations programs begin January 3 for the Winter term
Are my English skills strong enough or do I need upgrading before taking a course?
For Vocational Programs - if english testing is required it will be available at the information sessions.
How can I get an updated transcript?
http://www.bced.gov.bc.ca/transcript/welcome.htmor phone 250.356.2432 or 1.888.879.1166
Is Burnaby Community & Continuing Education (BCCE) certified with PCITA?

PCTIA is established under the Private Career Training Institutions Act, with its corresponding Regulations and Bylaws. PCITA is governed by a Board of Directors and is guided by the public sector guidelines for corporate governance.

It is not necessary for Burnaby CCE to join PCITA. Burnaby Community & Continuing Education is an arm of the Burnaby School District and as so, is governed by a Board of Education. The Board of Education’s function is to establish procedures and guidelines for the operation of Burnaby CCE. The Board of Education, in consultation with senior staff, determine policies and regulations which govern the direct operations of the school district's human and physical resources. These policies are designed to ensure a high level of conduct and quality educational services which establishes Burnaby School District as a good choice for life long learning.

Are the Certificate and Diploma programs recognized?

Burnaby CCE offers college level diplomas and certificates. Our programs are well recognized by official organizations. They are equivalent in content to what is offered at colleges. Each program is unique and some examples are provided below.

  • Vancouver Coastal Health/Fraser Health - We have affiliation agreements with Fraser Health and Vancouver Coastal Health for the Medical Office Assistant program and the Health Care Assistant program.
  • Province of BC - We have a license agreement with the province of BC for the Health Care Assistant program curriculum guide.  The HCA program follows B.C. Ministry of Health provincial curriculum guidelines and Burnaby CCE (Burnaby School District) is listed as an educator in BC that meets specific program standards.
  • Early Childhood Registry of the Ministry for Children & Families – Our ECE program is approved by this organization.
  • TESL Canada – Our TESOL (ESL Teacher Training) program is recognized by TESL Canada.
  • American Hotel and Lodging Association – Our ‘Hotel Front Office Operations’ program and ‘Convention Management’ program is accredited with this organization.
  • GAIA College SOUL – many of our Horticulture programs are co-sponsored with Gaia College and endorsed by the Society for Organic Urban Land Care.
  • For a new program, Landscape Horticulturalist Apprenticeship, we have been given provisional Designation by the Industry Training Authority to provide Common Core Level 1 and 2.

Burnaby CCE also offers a variety of programs where a governing body or accreditation does not exist. For these programs we carefully select instructors who have the credentials to instil high standards in our programs.

What is the difference between a diploma program and a certificate program?

The difference between diplomas and certificates can become murky at some institutions. In general Certification programs are typically specialized in one specific skill or area. In some cases a diploma is not required and a certificate gives sufficient training in a particular skill. Diploma programs tend to be longer and more in-depth. In comparison to certificate programs they are broader and often give the student a good overview of the field, without earning an actual degree.

Each area of study is unique. Some professional associations may have developed their own specific guidelines and criteria as to what accounts for a certificate and what accounts for a diploma.

Are student loans available for BCCE students?

a) Our students are not eligible for Canada and BC subsidized student loans. However, many students are eligible for unsubsidized loans. For specific information contact your local financial institution. Burnaby CCE has been partnering with Vancity (Hastings branch) to streamline the process of applying for a student loan. Please call Vancity at 604-877-7063 to make an appointment.

b) An option to pay your course fee in instalments will be considered on individual basis.

Can my tuition be used for tax purposes?

A receipt is provided for course fees for certificate and diploma courses. However, CRA (Canada Revenue Agency) does not allow us to give out T2202 forms for tax purposes. This is because the Burnaby school district is listed under the Ministry of Education as an educational institute that provides K-12 programs and therefore is currently not recognized as qualifying Educational Institution to give out T2202 forms. 

Will I get a job if I take a certificate or diploma program with BCCE?

Burnaby CCE has a proven record in developing students' skills and knowledge to make you highly employable. Many programs have a job search component. A high percentage of our graduates find employment within 3 months of graduation. Many students who do a great job on their practicum get noticed and get job offers right away.
Note:  We cannot personally guarantee each student will get a job after graduation because there are other factors beyond our control that may affect this. However taking a course with Burnaby CCE will highly increase your chances of getting a job.

Still have a question? Send us an email:

Email Question

*Fill in field required.

First Name:*
Last Name:*

Home Page for BCCEHome Page

Join the conversation with BCCEJoin the conversation

Connect with BCCEConnect with BCCE

Learn with BCCELearn with BCCE