HEALTH CARE ASSISTANT DIPLOMA
The HCA program is currently not being offered.
Join the community of committed Health Care professionals who provide care to those in need. This 30 week, full time program, will provide students with the knowledge and skills necessary to be employed as front-line care providers in care facilities or home-care settings. This college level course includes classroom theory, clinical instruction as well as supervised practicums in a variety of care facilities. Instruction is provided by qualified health professionals with extensive experience in the field of health care, both in clinical practice and teaching.
The program delivered by Burnaby Community & Continuing Education (Burnaby School District) is recognized by the BC Care Aide & Community Health Worker Registry. The program uses approved HCA Provincial Curriculum 2018. Graduates of our program are eligible for registration with the BC Care Aide & Community Health Worker Registry. The Burnaby School District’s Health Care Assistant program has affiliation agreements in place with several Health Authorities in BC; this enables our school to request practicum placements in a variety of health care settings. The program attracts students from all over Metro Vancouver.
Students must register at least 2 full weeks before the program start date in order to secure a spot.
How to Apply:
- Fill in an application form. HCA Application Form
- Pay the $30 application fee when you apply, (course #1702).
- Submit proof of Grade 10 graduation or mature student status
- Submit proof of English language competency
– English 10 or equivalent (for applicants whose first language is English)
– Standardized English language proficiency test score (for applicants whose first language is not English) (TOEFL/IELTS/CLB/CELPIP/CAEL)
- Submit proof of current immunization for Hepatitis B
- Submit proof of current immunization for flu (seasonal)
- Submit proof of negative TB test or proof from TB Control that the applicant does not have active TB
- International students must provide proof of a study permit valid for the duration of the course
Note: the above items should be submitted together. Email to email@example.com. In the subject line put HCA application plus your name. Alternatively you can deliver your application form and supporting documents in person at the CCE Admin office, 751 Hammarskjold Dr.(entrance is off Kennsington and Dunnedin)
Additional Prerequisites before field trips and practicums:
- Current criminal record check from the Ministry of Public Safety and Solicitor General including clearance to work with vulnerable adults (application for CRC takes place during program registration and is $28 extra)
- Foodsafe Level 1 Certificate
- First Aid and CPR Level C or HCP (included in the HCA program)
- Provincial Violence Prevention Curriculum E-Learning Modules (included in the program)
To graduate, students must meet all the following requirements:
- Successful completion of all courses and practicums
- Minimum 70% final mark for assignments and tests
Over 95% of our graduates find employment within 6 months of graduating! Our graduates now work in such locations as Capilano Care Centre, Normana, Lynn Valley Care Centre, Eagle Ridge Hospital, Nikkei Assisted Living Home, Belvedere Care Centre, Cartier Home, Success Care Facility, Nurse Next Door and New Westminster Home Health.
Students who successfully complete the program are eligible for registration with the BC Care Aide & Community Health Worker Registry.
Graduates will be qualified to work in long term care facilities (complex care, special care, mental health), acute care facilities, community home support and in assisted living areas.
- Introduction to Practice
- Health and Healing – Concepts for Practice
- Caring for Individuals Experiencing Common Health Challenges
- Caring for Individuals Experiencing Cognitive or Mental Challenges
- Interpersonal Communications
- Lifestyle and Choices
- Personal Care and Assistance
- Emergency First Aid
- WHMIS training
- Practicum 1 (Multi-Level Care)
- Practicum 2 (Community-Assisted Living / Home Support / Group Homes)
- Job Search
The Health Care Assistant program and the variety of practicum experiences have opened up my eyes to a whole new field of opportunities for employment for HCAs.
I recently took the HCA program and really enjoyed it. I learned a lot; it was really fun and even more important, I’m working full time now!