EDUCATION ASSISTANT DIPLOMA
Due to high demand for the Education Assistant Diploma program, we plan to offer more free information sessions and new opportunities to submit applications. Click here to enroll yourself on our waitlist, and we will notify you via email when a new information session is scheduled or when a new application window is announced.
Are you looking for a rewarding career in the field of education? Education Assistants work collaboratively with teachers and other professionals to support students with exceptional learning needs. Consider becoming part of an educational team who are committed to creating inclusive learning experiences. A team whose goal is for students with physical, health, social/emotional, sensory and/or learning challenges to be the best they can be! Give yourself the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of students.
Our EA program will give you the knowledge and skills for employment in public and private schools, child care centres, and community drop in centres.
Full time – the full time EA program runs Monday through Friday, 9:00-3:30 pm for five months.
Part time – the part time EA program runs 2 evenings per week plus most Saturdays for one year.
Note: The practicum will take place Mon-Fri during the day for both part time and full time programs.
A part time EA program started January 8, 2019.
Two full time programs are scheduled:
1. February 4 to June 28, 2019, Location: Garibaldi Annex Elementary School, Vancouver
2. July 8 to November 22, 2019, Location: Burnaby (exact site TBD)
The application deadline for the above start dates is now closed. However, due to the high number of applicants, we will be adding additional EA programs. As soon as they are added, the information will be posted here.
- Complete and submit the Application Form
- Pay the $30 application fee; the procedure regarding submission is on the application form
- Applicants must have experience working or volunteering with school-aged students
- Provide 2 professional references (ideally related to your experience working with school-aged students).
- Minimum education level is graduation from Grade 12 or equivalent in any country; submit proof of highest education level achieved
- Submit resume
- Submit a hand written bio
- Submit proof of English language proficiency equivalent to Grade 12 English (free testing is available at information sessions)
- Successful applicants will be contacted to schedule an interview
Interested applicants are welcome to attend a free information session. Free English assessment is available after the information session.
To graduate, students must meet all the following requirements:
- Successful completion of all courses and practicums
- Minimum 70% final mark for assignments and tests
Qualified Education Assistants are currently in high demand in school districts throughout British Columbia. Our graduates are qualified to work in public and private schools, childcare centers and community drop in centres.
Our Education Assistant program includes classroom theory, clinical instruction as well as supervised practicums in a school setting.
Foundations of History and Issues in Special Education
Child and Adolescent Development
Supporting Students with Atypical Development
Supporting Students with Communication
Positive Behaviour Interventions (Understanding Behaviour)
Augmented Communication Application Skills
Working Effectively in Schools
Evidence Based Teaching Practices
Introduction to ABA/POPARD
Supporting Personal Health Care
Supporting Vulnerable Students
Managing Challenging Behaviour- Non-Violent Crisis Intervention