EDUCATION ASSISTANT DIPLOMA
Are you looking for a rewarding career in the field of education? Education Assistants work collaboratively with teachers and other professionals to support students with exceptional learning needs. Consider becoming part of an educational team who are committed to creating inclusive learning experiences. A team whose goal is for students with physical, health, social/emotional, sensory and/or learning challenges to be the best they can be! Give yourself the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of students.
Our EA program will give you the knowledge and skills for employment in public and private schools, child care centres, and community drop in centres.
Full time – the full time EA program runs Monday through Friday, 9:00-3:30 pm for five months.
Part time – the part time EA program runs 2 evenings per week plus most Saturdays for one year.
Note: The practicum will take place Mon-Fri during the day for both part time and full time programs.
Current and planned program intakes:
- Full-time; July 8 to November 22, 2019; Location: Garibaldi Annex Elementary School, Vancouver
Applications are being accepted from 2019-Mar-18 8:00 am to 2019-Apr-26 4:00 pm. Read the application requirements below carefully and submit the application form, supporting documents, and application fee as one complete package.
- Full-time; July 8 to November 22, 2019; Location: Burnaby South Secondary School, Burnaby
Applications are now closed. We are currently reviewing files received during the last application window; all applicants will be contacted soon with a status update.
- WE ARE PLANNING FUTURE INTAKES for both part-time and full-time programs.
Due to high demand for the Education Assistant Diploma program, we are planning to offer more part-time and full-time intakes. Add yourself to our email notification list to receive announcements when a new free information session is scheduled, when a new program intake is announced, or when a new opportunity to submit applications becomes available. Click here to enroll yourself on our notification waitlist.
- Complete and submit the Application Form
- Pay the $30 application fee; the procedure regarding submission is on the application form
- Applicants must have experience working or volunteering with school-aged students (indicate the number of hours accumulated and if any of your experience relates to working with special needs students)
- Provide 2 professional written references (ideally related to your experience working with school-aged students)
- Minimum education level is graduation from Grade 12 or equivalent in any country; submit proof of highest education level achieved. Copies of transcripts are acceptable; official transcripts are not necessary.
- Submit resume
- Submit a hand-written bio: describe how your background and experience make you are a good fit for this career
- Submit proof of English language proficiency equivalent to Grade 12 English
- Successful applicants will be contacted to schedule an interview
To graduate, students must meet all the following requirements:
- Successful completion of all courses and practicums
- Minimum 70% final mark for assignments and tests
Qualified Education Assistants are currently in high demand in school districts throughout British Columbia. Our graduates are qualified to work in public and private schools, childcare centers and community drop in centres.
Our Education Assistant program includes classroom theory, clinical instruction as well as supervised practicums in a school setting.
Foundations of History and Issues in Special Education
Child and Adolescent Development
Supporting Students with Atypical Development
Supporting Students with Communication
Positive Behaviour Interventions (Understanding Behaviour)
Augmented Communication Application Skills
Working Effectively in Schools
Evidence Based Teaching Practices
Introduction to ABA/POPARD
Supporting Personal Health Care
Supporting Vulnerable Students
Managing Challenging Behaviour- Non-Violent Crisis Intervention