This program is certified by TESL Canada, and is taught by an experienced and credentialed team of teachers. Students are prepared for teaching Reading, Writing, Speaking, Listening, Grammar and Presentation skills. Students also participate in seminars to discuss topics such as classroom management, matching learning outcomes to activities, conducting assessments and developing a teaching style of their own. Students will leave the program with a portfolio of lesson plans and activities they have organized.
TESOL – Courses
- TESOL 500 — Reading Skills & Teaching Methodologies
- TESOL 501 — Writing Skills & Teaching Methodologies
- TESOL 502 — Pronunciation, Speaking and Listening Skills & Teaching Methodologies
- TESOL 503 — Grammar and Vocabulary Skills & Teaching Methodologies
TESOL – Practicum
Students who successfully complete the TESOL courses are eligible to register for the practicum (20 hours). Students must meet the minimum English proficiency requirements to be eligible to take the practicum. The observation component (10 hours) can be done in conjuction with the TESOL courses, but the remainder of the practicum must take place after the TESOL courses are completed.
- Proof of English 12 or equivalent — English language assessment is available after the free information sessions
A university degree is not required to enroll in our TESOL – ELL Teacher Training program. However, an undergraduate degree will be required by TESL Canada if you decide to pursue professional certification. See TESL Canada (www.tesl.ca) for current English proficiency and education requirements.
- Successfully complete 100 hours of classroom instruction
- Successfully complete 20 hours of practicum — the 10 hour observation component of the practicum can be completed by the course end date, but the remainder of the practicum takes place after the main TESOL course has been completed
- Teaching at local community organizations (MOSAIC)
- Teaching at BC Corrections
- Teaching overseas
Many students also spend time volunteering in ELL classes to gain powerful experience.
- “I just wanted to take a moment to thank you again for the wonderful TESOL classes that we are having with Burnaby CCE. When I registered in the course I did not know how much I had forgotten about teaching and how much I had to learn. It has been very exciting to go through all the theory and materials of the course. I am very happy that I made the decision of registering in this course and I am looking forward to teaching again!”
— Lidia Lee (December 2016)
- “The TESOL program offered by the Burnaby School District is invaluable in preparing students for immersion into real-world ELL teaching. The material presented throughout the course is accessible and authentic.”
— May 2015
Next program intake is scheduled for September 2017. The part time program schedules classes to run Tue / Wed / Thu evenings for 34 sessions (approximately 11 weeks).
TESOL – Practicum
Next program intake is scheduled for September 2017.