EARLY CHILDHOOD EDUCATION – POST BASIC DIPLOMA
Sign up to get email notifications about this program
Subscribe here to get email alerts
when a new free information session is scheduled, when a new program intake is announced, or when a new opportunity to submit enrolment applications becomes available. You can unsubscribe from our notification service at any time by replying to our email with “Unsubscribe” in the subject line.
Educators who have already completed Early Childhood Education – Basic Certificate may enrol in this program to gain additional specialty diplomas.
The specialties offered at this time are:
- INFANT & TODDLER
- INCLUSIVE PRACTICES (formerly called Special Needs)
The ECE – Post Basic Diploma program offered by Burnaby Community & Continuing Education is approved by the Early Childhood Registry of the BC Ministry for Children & Families.
The Post Basic program is offered part time.
One Specialty – includes 11 months, 8 courses, 1 practicum
A second specialty – includes 2 courses and 1 practicum
Registration is only open for students who have completed the application requirements and have been accepted into the program.
To apply, submit the following:
- Completed ECE – Post Basic Diploma application form
- Photocopy of government id (Driver’s Licence, BC ID card, passport, etc.) to verify your identity
- Copy of ECE certificate to practice (licence)
- Copy of ECE Basic transcript, certificate and other documents relevant to ECE Basic training
- Copy of valid First Aid certificate
- Two page autobiography (include your ECE philosophy, image of the child, values, interests and the reasons for choosing to care and educate young children in inclusive and multiage childcare settings)
- Proof of completion of English 12 or Communications 12 with a C+ OR will write or has written an English test with BCCE
- 3 signed reference letters; at least one should be from past employment/study
- Completed form for ECE Student Medical Examination – Physician’s Report
- Submit the ECE Post Basic Application Fee $30 (waived for returning BCCE students – within 5 years)
How to submit the application package:
- Please submit a complete application package; we cannot accept incomplete packages that are missing required documents
- Online submission: (1) Email the package to firstname.lastname@example.org and (2) pay the ECE Post Basic Application Fee using the green button at the top of this page and use course code 4000
- In person submission: Bring the package and ECE Post Basic Application Fee to Burnaby Continuing Education, 5325 Kincaid St, Burnaby BC V5G 1W2
- Once this application is submitted, you will be contacted for a interview and English test if required
- Once you are accepted, you will be required to complete a Criminal Record Check; details will be provided as part of the admission package
Graduates of our program work in preschools, group child care centres, early learning programs and family place playrooms.
Meet Krassimira – ECE Basic Graduate; ECE Post Basic Student
Why did I take the ECE program?
When my daughter was two and a half years old I started taking her to Strong Start. We lived in Burnaby at the time and we were going to one of the local schools. We both fell in love with the teacher, a very special lady with a big heart full of kindness and patience for children and parents. I didn’t know much about the different approaches and philosophies to Early Childhood Education back then, however, I could tell that this teacher loved her job. I noticed the way she was setting up the environment in her classroom as well as the materials she was offering to the children were different than the conventional classroom. I learned that the Strong Centers in the Burnaby school district were inspired by the Reggio Emilia approach and were following the children’s interests. After my daughter started Kindergarten I enrolled in the Basic ECE Program with the Burnaby School District.
What were the benefits of taking the ECE basic program?
The Basic ECE program offered by the Burnaby School District is designed for people with busy schedules like myself, working full time jobs and taking care of their families. The classes are in the evening or sometimes on Saturday. Students can choose to enroll in the 2 or 3 year program. The program is run by an amazing team of instructors who have significant experience in the ECE field and are very knowledgeable and supportive. I think that building close relationships between instructors and students is creating a very positive learning environment. The Burnaby ECE program is offering an affordable high quality education that gives you the knowledge and confidence you need to become an ECE professional.
What are the best things about the ECE basic program?
I really enjoyed our evenings of sharing and discussions in a safe, welcoming environment, surrounded by amazing instructors and classmates, driven by their love for the children and their dedication to provide the best care possible. What doors opened for you after graduating from the ECE Basic program? Two years ago, I opened my home-based child care center. Graduating from the Basic ECE program gave me the confidence in my skills and knowledge that I needed in order to build an engaging high quality program.
Why did you return to school to take the Post Basic program?
Sometimes I get asked by parents why I returned to take the ECE Post Basic program if I’m already running my own daycare. When the principal at my daughter’s school sends the parents an email, he always ends it with the same quote “He who dares to teach must never cease to learn.” (Anonymous) This is probably the main reason why I went back to school. I think that as ECE professionals we have to always be open to learning so we can provide the best care to the children in our centers.
What do you love about the Post Basic program?
The courses I’m taking now are engaging and inspiring, encouraging me to become a more reflective teacher and to embrace the principles of the Reggio Emilia philosophy in my practice.