Building Caretaker Certificate
OverviewPrerequisitesGraduation requirementsFuture employmentStudent feedback
This theory-based course provides the knowledge required to qualify as a building caretaker of an apartment complex or a residential strata corporation.
Topics covered include:
- Office systems and procedures
- Facility management — repairing sinks, patching drywall, preventative maintenance
- Cost control and budgeting
- Risk management and safety issues — fires, pest control, HVAC, water damage
- Waste management — recycling, green waste, composts
- Building service equipment and supplies — cleaning and cleaning contractors
- Equipment — life cycle, cost analysis
- Contractors and consultants — how to hire and manage
- Time management
- Effective communication skills
- WCB’s Occupational Health and Safety Regulations
- CPR First Aid
- Resume writing
Students should meet the following prerequisites before registering:
- At least 19 years old
- Strong English skills
English language assessment is available after the free information session at Burnaby Central Secondary School (6011 Deer Lake Parkway, Burnaby) on the following dates:
- January 17, 2017 (Tuesday) at 7:15 pm
- March 7, 2017 (Tuesday) at 7:15 pm
To graduate, students must meet all the following requirements:
- Minimum mark 70% on all quizzes and exams
A certificate will be issued upon successful completion of the course.
Graduates of the program will be qualified to apply for positions as handymen or caretakers in apartment buildings or residential strata corporations.
Excellent course. Very knowledgeable instructor.-- December 2016
Wonderful course – instructor and classmates.-- December 2016
Knowledgeable instructor; fun, informative teaching.
It sure did a world of difference for me becoming self-employed. I’m now one of three handymen working for a property management company. I’m certain that without the accreditation of the Building Caretaker Certification course this would not have been possible.