Building Caretaker Certificate
OverviewPrerequisitesGraduation requirementsFuture employmentInstructor bioStudent feedback
This theory-based course provides the knowledge required to qualify as a building caretaker of an apartment complex or a residential strata corporation.
Topics covered include:
- Office systems and procedures
- Facility management — repairing sinks, patching drywall, preventative maintenance
- Cost control and budgeting
- Risk management and safety issues — fires, pest control, HVAC, water damage
- Waste management — recycling, green waste, composts
- Building service equipment and supplies — cleaning and cleaning contractors
- Equipment — life cycle, cost analysis
- Contractors and consultants — how to hire and manage
- Time management
- Effective communication skills
- WCB’s Occupational Health and Safety Regulations
- CPR First Aid
- Resume writing
Students should meet the following prerequisites before registering:
- At least 19 years old
- Strong English skills
English language assessment is available after the free information sessions.
To graduate, students must meet all the following requirements:
- Minimum mark 70% on all quizzes and exams
A certificate will be issued upon successful completion of the course.
Graduates of the program will be qualified to apply for positions as handymen or caretakers in apartment buildings or residential strata corporations.
Barry is the Managing Director of Sundown Consulting Services Ltd. He has well over 35 years in the building service industry, and has been performing cleaning audits and teaching since 2000. Barry is also a past president of the British Columbia Contract Cleaning Association and a current member of the International Facilities Management Association (IFMA).
Excellent course. Very knowledgeable instructor.December 2016
Wonderful course – instructor and classmates.December 2016
Knowledgeable instructor; fun, informative teaching.
It sure did a world of difference for me becoming self-employed. I’m now one of three handymen working for a property management company. I’m certain that without the accreditation of the Building Caretaker Certification course this would not have been possible.