PRUNING FOR LANDSCAPERS AND GARDENERS
Learn proper techniques for pruning trees and shrubs in the landscape. The first session is an in-class discussion on how and why we prune, types of pruning cuts and tool selection. The second session will be in the field where students can work their way through various trees and shrubs and gain insight and practice in making good pruning decisions. Tool and ladder safety will also be discussed.
For the Saturday session, bring a lunch and dress for weather. Transportation to the pruning site is required. This class is limited to 14 students. ISA CEUs available.
Students should meet all the following prerequisites before registering:
- Pruning can be physically challenging work and participants should be in good physical condition
- Students are expected to bring a hand saw, bypass style hand pruners. Proper PPE (steel toe boots, safety glasses) is required to participate in pruning. Comfortable gloves are recommended.
To graduate, students must meet all the following requirements:
- Minimum 90% attendance in class
This course would be of interest to:
- Those currently working in the horticulture industry who want pruning skills
- Homeowners who want to learn how to prune their own trees and shrubs
JACK VAN DUYNHOVEN
Jack has been active in the industry for over 32 years. He worked as a Landscape Designer and Installer for a short period in West Vancouver before going back to Simon Fraser University and completing his degree.
Jack’s background includes:
- Landscape Horticulture and Design Technician – BCIT
- Bachelor’s Degree in BioSciences with emphasis on plant physiology, integrated pest management, toxicology, plant pathology, insect biology, plant tissue culture and microbiology.
- Two years towards a Master’s Degree in Plant Physiology.
- Published a paper for the Ministry of Forests on Seed Germination Trials.
- Canadian Certified Horticultural Technician #0017.
Jack has been active in the Landscape Maintenance Industry for over 32 years. He is a strong advocate for improving the knowledge and skill level of the people in the Horticulture industry, and he continues to operate Van Duynhoven Garden Service Ltd. with the same core values that his parents strived for: quality service and excellent customer relations.