Medical Office Assistant Diploma
For full details about this program, please attend a FREE INFORMATION SESSION. Click here to check for upcoming information sessions.
OverviewPrerequisitesGraduation requirementsFuture employmentStudent feedback
The Medical Office Assistant (MOA) program prepares students for a rewarding career in medical offices, hospital departments, x-ray and physiotherapy offices, laboratories and other health-related institutions.
Topics covered include:
- Orientation / Information session
- Medical Terminology Level 1
- Medical Terminology Level 2
- Medical Office and Clinical Procedures
- Medical Billing and Electronic Medical Records
- Medical Transcription
- Microsoft Word / Keyboarding
- Excel Level 1
- Job Search
- Standard First Aid for Industry (Work Safe Level 1, First Aid and CPR Level C)
- Practicum (100 hours)
Students should meet the following prerequisites before registering:
- Complete the program application form: Application Form – Medical Office Assistant
- English 12 or equivalent — English language assessment is required for those who do not have documentation of English 12 or equivalent; English language assessment is available at all information sessions
- Typing speed of 25 net wpm — typing assessment is available at all information sessions
- Attendance of an information session — use the the link in the section Free information sessions below for details of upcoming information sessions
To graduate, students must meet all the following requirements:
- Minimum 70% in assignments and exams
- Minimum typing speed 50 net wpm — must be met before practicum
- Successful completion of practicum (100 hours)
Part time students who have finished all the program courses must submit the following form to apply for graduation: Application for Graduation – Administrative Assistant Certificate – Part Time
Medical Office Assistants are in demand in the offices of a wide variety of health professionals, including general practitioners, physiotherapists, massage therapists, surgeons and medical specialists. Positions are also available in various medical clinics and health care institutions, including hopsitals.
Our graduates are currently working at Children’s Hospital, Vancouver General Hospital, Burnaby Hospital, Life Labs, the Medical Imaging unit at Royal Columbian Hospital, St. Paul’s Hospital, Eagle Ridge Hospital, Care Point medical clinics, CML Diagnostics, x-ray clinics, doctors’ offices and private MRI clinics.
Thanks to the MOA Program and great instructors at Burnaby Continuing Education, who have helped me in pursuing my career in a health care field. For the past year, I have been working at one of the fastest growing health care companies in Canada. The practicum experience that I had at one of its 18 clinics in BC was a value added for me in landing this job.
The instructors are very approachable and friendly. They are well-prepared at all times.
I really enjoyed the program and would definitely recommend it to my friends.
The information for the course was presented professionally; it was understandable and the instructor supported many different learning styles … I would highly recommend this program.